11 March 2014

Improving the Sail

I was truly amazed. I mean, our first sail a total disaster! Did I, in my reverie in buying a potentially great boat, get a lemon?  OK, Keith, get a grip. Get up there and analyze what the problem was then FIX IT! How the hell Paul, the previous owner, ever sailed like this was beyond me, but I wasn't ready for this. So,when we went back on the road I ordered 60 feet of 5/8" 12 braid rope to replace the 3/4" granny knotted genoa sheets.
We got back to Port Isabel about three weeks later. I went to the marina office and there was a box with my name on it. Wow!, A Christmas present! I opened the box and there it was - 120 feet of 5/8" 12 braid rope. After marveling the wonder of all this new rope for a few minutes, I took it all back to the boat and VERY carefully (and accurately) laid it out on the dock and cut it into 2 even pieces with a kitchen knife. Next, I CUT (yes, cut) the old sheets off the genoa, as trying to untie the granny knots proved futile. 
Now, being on the road for weeks at a time gives one a lot of time to read and  I was totally immersed in the sailing thing.  I was reading about everything from knots to navigation. Now it was time to tie my first "knautical  knot". Lets see, this end over that loop and then through the clew ring and then under the loop and around the back of this part of the rope then .. . look at the book again . . . no, this goes OVER this end and . . . this looks really easy in the book! ! The clew of the genoa flapping in the wind didn't help either. OK, so I was getting a little taste of how a minor repair (or upgrade) on a boat could turn into a major task. 
After about a hour of wrestling with the clew of this uncooperative sail, I got two pretty nice bowlins into the sail and reeved the two sheets through the blocks and back to the genoa sheet winches. 
With the exasperation of my task slowly turning into excitement, I announced to Carol that it was time for our second sail. I just had to know if my fix would really solve the problem. 
This time we took a different route out to open water, which proved to be a lot less stressful, but took a little longer than the other way. Less stress was becoming more appealing than low water. Once we were beyond the Santiago Pass jetties and approaching the inner buoys, came the moment of truth. This would prove whether I was a real sailor to Carol (and myself), or just a cluge making up excuses for my inability to sail.
I quickly uncleated the fors'l control line and pulled our new $140 sheets and watched as the sail took the wind. I set her on a close haul and as the wind was running about 12 to 14 knots, I let her run there a few minutes while I contemplated  a tack to starboard.
"Ready about". Ready! Hard a'lee" I snapped the helm over to starboard and at the same time yanked the port sheet out of the self tailing winch while I started pulling the starboard sheet in, at the same time maintaining control of the helm. As the genoa came across the deck, I quickly wound the starboard line on the winch, set it in the self  tailer and sheeted in until the sail was set the way I wanted. Grey Bird settled in to her new tack, and as I  set the helm on her new course, a whole new wave of awe overtook me. Although a bit rusty in tacking maneuvers, I did it. My suspicion about the granny knots in the genoa clew (and subsequent fix) worked. 
     We had a wonderful sail that afternoon, and I tacked several more times with no hang ups in the sail. I could see that I needed a lot more practice, but was confident I would improve each time I went out. The best part was that I was able to show Carol that I was not just boasting, but really did know how to sail. I think she was greatly relieved..


Calmer seas and company for our second day sail.




Grey Bird
The "original look" of the mast.

Even the cockpit will eventually get a makeover